No one wants to think that they may be stuck in their home during a natural disaster, but the reality is natural disasters happen in every state in our country. During a natural disaster, keeping your family safe and comfortable is a top priority and having a disaster preparedness kit will help you.
A disaster preparedness kit for your home in Oregon should include these basics:
Food and Water:
- Two week supply of bottled water
- Two week supply of non-perishable food like crackers, protein bars, dried fruit, etc.
- Infant food and formula
- Pet food
- Utensils and plates for each person
Shelter and Comfort:
- Plastic sheeting
- Duct tape
- Sleeping bags for each person
- Emergency blankets
- Battery operated or hand crank radio
- Emergency locator beacon
- Multipurpose tool, such as a Leatherman
- Flashlight (and extra batteries)
- Hand warmers
- Battery-operated cell phone charger
- List of emergency numbers (including emergency contacts, insurance agent)
- Copies of important documents such as insurance cards, IDs, home inventory lists, etc.
- Books, toys or other entertainment items for children
- Extra clothing/shoes for inclement weather
- A first aid kit (make sure this kit has antiseptic, bandages, small scissors, aspirin or ibuprofen, hot and cold compresses)
- “Help” or “Assistance Needed” sign
- Feminine hygiene products
- Hand sanitizer
- Personal sanitizing wipes
- Surgical masks and gloves
- Air horn or whistle
- Necessary medications
Safety and Hygiene:
Of course you can add additional items to your disaster preparedness kit depending on the needs of your family. Store your disaster preparedness kit in an easily accessible area, make sure you check your kit often and update it as things expire. For more information about disaster kits, please visit Ready.gov.
We hope that you never need to use your disaster preparedness kit, but we hope that it will help get you and your family through the stress of a natural disaster. If a natural disaster does occur in our area, once your family is safe, call your insurance agent at Pacific Ridge Insurance in Klamath Falls, Oregon as soon as possible. They can help you get the claims process started. Whatever your insurance needs, the experts at Pacific Ridge Insurance can help. Their years of insurance experience can save you a bundle! You can also visit their insurance website 24/7 to learn more about the other valuable insurance products they offer like earthquake or flood insurance.